First of all, if you don’t have any idea what Pentadactyl is, then this post maybe not worth your time.
Secondly, I should tell you about my system environments: Ubuntu 11.04; Firefox 6.0. If yours are differ from mine, I suppose it will still be ok, in most of the cases, they share the same steps.
Now, let’s start.
- Why use Firefox? It’s the only browser what can have Pentadactyl as the add-on.
- Why use Pentadactyl? It’s vim-like add-on, designed for some keyboard addicted users to make life easier and more efficiently. If you ever heard about vim, you should know how powerful it is.
- Why bother to use encrypted google search engine? It’s really something personal, I like it, because I like it. If you insist to ask, I think the main reason is I don’t want my search queries to be intercepted. Besides, it makes me cool and different.
In Pentadactyl, when you want search something, just type “o”(open the results in current tab) or “t”(open the results in new tab) followed the search words. By default, Pentadactyl use google as the search engine, Not google ssl. So how to change it? Add it as a bookmark will be the first step. Since we use Pentadactyl, let’s do it in some cool way:
- Press “:” to begin to typing command.
bmark -keyword gssl https://encrypted.google.com/search?sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&site=webhp&source=hp&q=%s&pbx=1&oq=&aq=&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=
- Press “Enter” to execute the command. And now you add it to your bookmark. Then press “:” again to type another command.
- Job done!
Command no.1: “-keyword” is an option for you to name a search engine which will be used in the second command. The url I provided maybe only functional in my system environment, I’m not sure. But if it doesn’t work, you could find it by yourself. AND it’s more easier.
- Open https://encrypted.google.com
- Right click of the search box
- Choose “Add a Keyword for this Search…”
- Name a keyword as you like, in my case it will be “gssl
It’s exactly the same result as command no.1. You will find the url when you check this bookmark’s property.
Command no.2: is used to set the default search engine. I really try hard to find this option of Pentadactyl…